My professional approach
What is “integrative counselling and coaching” by Anna Mäkinen
Counselling is a different form of assistance from psychotherapy or psychoanalysis. Counselling starts from the idea of addressing the immediate issues in people’s lives and provides an opportunity to explore and address the associated emotions and supports the client in finding the ways of coping and developing oneself. Coaching, in turn, provides tools and solutions to tackle these challenges.
My “integrative counselling and coaching” seeks to provide an environment that can bring relief, lessen the sense of aloneness and isolation that often accompanies personal crises and offers support to help you find your own solutions to your problems.
Things to know about my “integrative counselling and coaching” -approach
- It is a “person-centered” approach based on my working principles explained earlier
- It is about your wellbeing – personal, social, and professional
- It draws on the science, research, and applications of counselling-, positive- and health psychology
- It aims at supporting your personal goals – depending on your needs, degree of your challenges, personal and social resources, and your ability to concentrate on this work
- It is not only about problems, challenges and obstacles – you have strengths which can be fostered, skills and resources that can be applied to this development process
- Changing things for the better can be uncomfortable sometimes – gaining something often means abandoning something else
- My role is about supporting your efforts, facilitating the dialogue between us and helping you find your answers.
- My role is based on my education, competences and experience, the quality of our relationship, empathy and trust between us
- Achieving the change that you aspire to requires openness towards yourself and reflection about your past and present experiences, and your hopes and ambitions for the future
- Changing your life for the better requires an investment – of focus, time, and money